Stereo panos -- horizontal interlacing

Using Pano2VR/Object2VR SWF files with your own Flash projects
mediavr

Stereo panos have got easier to make lately as cameras have got faster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwzCMPeS6JE
and easier to see too with new 3d screens like this Zalman 24" monitor I bought recently
http://panotoolsng.586017.n4.nabble.com ... 74467.html
which uses horizontally alternating lines of stereo images

It would be great to have a Flash viewer for stereo panos in this format -

has anyone got any ideas on ways of creating this kind of viewer with Pano2VR .. like ..
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... pic#p16131

here is one of my recent anaglyph spherical action panos
http://www.mediavr.com/lunaanaglyph2.htm

regards
Peter M
smooth

G'day Peter,

Neat work mate, I also have been playing around with Stereo anaglyph panoramas.
How did you determined the width between the lenses? Was is a case of rough enough is good enough or did you attempt to meet general eye spacing?
My results as OK, but I've been doing this with static shots and I feel I'm still at the start of the learning process and so far I'm using only one camera and lens and flipping the panohead 180 degrees. Seeing your invention made me think about two camera shots once again and using lens rings rather than a mounting plate.

Regards, Smooth 8)
mediavr

Hi Smooth
The distance from the nearest to the furthest objects determines what camera separation you need
and how many shots you need
-- with a small room you might need to have the cameras as close as possible (base to base) and
take like maybe 250 shots per camera

-- with a distant outdoor scene like in my example you need to have the cameras further apart --
24cm in my example -- otherwise things look too flat -- and I managed with only about 45 shots
per camera (for 360) as the cameras were on a pole and not too close to anything.

You need so many shots because the cameras are not rotating on the NPP.

Generally I just optimise (with PTGui) for one camera and repeat the optimisation a number of times
deleting the worse points each time til I get the error down to < 1 or 2 pixels. Then I apply that as a
template to the other cameras images

It would be great if Pano2Vr had support for stereo modes.
Youtube has supported stereo videos for a few months.
If you type in "yt3d into Youtube you will find
a few hundred stereo videos that are supported by Youtube's stereo mode. An icon "3d" appears under
the video with a dropdown list for stereo modes -- anaglyph, side by side, interlaced etc. You upload
your stereo videos in side by side mode and Youtube changes them on the fly according to what stereo mode
you pick ... this could be how a stereo pano viewer would work -- R click gives stereo viewing modes --
Pano2Vr could be ahead of the curve! :-)

Peter M
smooth

Thanks Peter,

OK, I was wondering why the examples I have made and even those before me weren't as effective and as you say flat.
I was shooting 8 images in rotation, which is twice as many as required for creating a normal equirectangular panorama.
Shooting and stitching offset from the NPP I have plenty of experience with, so that's not a problem. As you say the more images the easier to stitch anyway.

I was already aware of the You Tube yt3d option, I think I watched this from a tutorial done by gluing some cheap point 'n' shoot cameras together and wearing them as glasses! Digital Rev from memory.

Eric Leeman is your man to speak to about the horizontal interlacing.
Thomas would have the scope to do it but getting a response or it implemented will be the issue. So many things Pano2VR requires, I can't see this being near the top of the list.
We can only hope and wait.

Regards, Smooth 8)
smooth

Regards, Smooth 8)
mediavr

cool looking rig!
yes two cameras is the way to go for any sort of action stereo panorama. The Sony Nex3 and 5 have
automated (with the new firmware) stereo pano capture (not 360) with a single camera rapid burst sweep but this
method (off-axis slice assembly ) is no good for action.

Peter M
smooth

Peter,

I read you purchased a Zalman ZM-M240-G 24 3D Full HD LCD Monitor.
Whats the story? Happy? Price you paid in Australia? Where etc?
Did you end up finding a way to display your images with Flash the way you wanted?

Regards, Smooth 8)