v3beta-tif cubes don't work?!?

Q&A about the latest versions
ronrack

I am trying to test v3 beta and am using the same tif cubefaces that work fine in v2.3.4 but although v3 beta says they are loading, no image comes up in the work ares etc, all I get is black if I try to output. Any idea why that is so?

ron rack
Ron Rack
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
http://360around.com
360Texas

Hi Ron, We are on a PC Pano2vr version 3.0 beta 32bit system and attempted to view our previous project 16 bit tif cube face tiles in a panorama and the panorama displayed properly for us.

Just following up the process.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
tdee

Hi, I got the same problem as Ron: cube-tifs 8 bit, size 3700 x 3700 px. After loading the cubes into beta 3 the working area and also the output is black. JPG works.

Pano2VR Version 3.0beta 64bit (Cocoa), Revision 1502/4.6.2 on Mac Quad Core Duo, OS 10.5.8
ronrack

It seems if I use jpgs (which I normally never use) Pano2vrv3 works OK for me but I was trying to use the same tif cube images from previous panos I have created with v2.3.4 and those tifs will not load? I have heard on other occasions about the way certain programs save tifs that could cause issus like this? However it seems strange to me that these same images have worked with previous Pano2vr versions. Also I have not seen any other posts anywhere that indicates others are having this issue so I am wondering if it is somehow unique to me?!? I am on intel Mac ibook with MacOS 10.5.8 Since this is a beta I would expect bugs but it seems weird that I am the only one reporting this!
:(

Ron Rack
Ron Rack
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
360Texas

Thanks Tdee,

Ron what sized cube face images are you trying to load?

Our panorama is 6000 x 3000 px 2:1 image ratio. I cube faced them to 1910 px square. Why ? 6000 pixels wide / Pi or 3.415 = 1909.9 or 1910 for best fit.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
ronrack

Hi,
I at first was trying to load 3088px tif cube faces, no good. Then I resized them to 1000px tif just for fun, still no good.

Now I must be a real dufus because, I converted all to jpg and it looked like everything is working ok. I am getting an out put with the jpg's but when I try to open the html, a window opens with the title and other info I inputted but no panorama just a blank space in the middle of the html window!! I am frustrated to say the least with trying to get any results here but, still no luck.
:( :(

ron rack
Ron Rack
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
thomas
Chief Gnome

Can you please send me one of your non working TIFFs? I changed the TIFF library with Pano2VR 3.0 to BIGTIFF and it seems that this causes the problem. :(
MfG, Thomas
joeu

TIFF files also do not work for me. I am using 9000x4500 equirectangular TIFFs that worked fine with the previous release.

Just purchased the update and was ready to try some of the new features :(

[Pano2VR Version 3.0beta 64bit Revision 1502/4.6.2; MacOS X 10.6.4 on a MacBook Pro]

Joe
mbb

I had the same problem until I re-saved the tif files in Photoshop (Mac) with the "IBM PC" byte order option instead of "Macintosh" and they imported fine (image compression "none). The cube faces were around 3700px.
360Texas

Ah yes now I understand. I too had issues like that. Only mine were gray interlaced traced lines. After loading and saving in Photoshop did the pano load up in Pano2VR as full color.

Workflow:
Now I shoot only raw and convert to TIF 16bit using Adobe Camera Raw [from camera through Photoshop]. Stitching these seem work well [means no grayed trace line images] I create my stitched panorama in PTgui 8.3.10.

File Format: TIFF(.tif)
Layers: Blended panorama only
Settings: Bit Depth = 16bit, Compression = PackBits, Alpha channel = No Alpha channel

Stitch using = PTGUI, Blend using = PTgui [x] use fast transform, Interpolator = Lanczos, Output = 72 ppi
--
Hope this helps
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
tdee

Hi, I think the problem appears if you save the tif-cubes from Photoshop for Macintosh. If I save them for IBM PC (with LZW compression) everything works fine.
ronrack

Wow,
Sorry I have been busy for awhile but I have had a chance to try and resave my Tiffs in PC format instead of Mac and they now work. Dang, I was hoping to be able to just use my existing files and whip up new files with the Html5/Css3 format. Now I have an extra step to convert the image files first.
By the way I tried to upload one of my cube faces but no deal it wouldn't upload. I will try again.

Ron Rack
Ron Rack
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
thomas
Chief Gnome

This will be fixed in the next beta. The problem is the TIFF library I am using in 3.0beta. For the next beta I will switch back to libTIFF.
MfG, Thomas