Links within a skin question

Q&A about the latest versions
thatkeith

If I add a link to a 'next panorama' (odd terminology) to a button object in a skin, is the URL relative to the current pano's XML file location, regardless of where the current HTML file might be? And should it point to the 'next' panorama's XML file?

So if I have each pano in a folder of it's own, sitting next to other pano-containing folders, should the link start with ../ in order to step up one directory level and then list the relevant folder/file.xml path?

Keith
smooth

As a general workflow all contents of a "tour" should be located in the one folder/directory.
Using the open 'next panorama' should point to a .swf file for Flash based tours and .xml for HTML5 based tours.
Of course you can type in relevant paths or absolute paths if you know the file structure, but this is simply over complicating the process in my opinion.
Absolute paths would add some security to a tour should it be stolen, as they would be reliant on your domain.

Everything in the one directory and you don't have to think about it.

Regards, Smooth 8)
thatkeith

smooth wrote:Using the open 'next panorama' should point to a .swf file for Flash based tours and .xml for HTML5 based tours.
Damn. So do I need to make two separate skins for these two formats? Or is there a way to do conditional statements within the URL field?
smooth wrote:Everything in the one directory and you don't have to think about it.
But if I DO want to think about it (grin) then my assumptions are correct? I'll remake things to work within one folder, but I can see situations where that isn't necessarily the best approach.

Thanks for the advice BTW.
Hopki
Gnome

Go to this page and download the source files,
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/samples/pano2vr_3/tour/

One pano2VR project outputting Flash and Html5 projects at once with a single skin file.

As a hint, the Html5 side of things is looking for IDs.

Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
thomas
Chief Gnome

smooth wrote: Using the open 'next panorama' should point to a .swf file for Flash based tours and .xml for HTML5 based tours.
You can use the same skin. The HTML5 player automatically replaces ".swf" with ".xml" for the "open next panorama" action. I know this is a hack and there will be a smarter solution some day, but for now it is an easy solution so that you can use just one skin.
MfG, Thomas
smooth

thomas wrote:
smooth wrote: Using the open 'next panorama' should point to a .swf file for Flash based tours and .xml for HTML5 based tours.
You can use the same skin. The HTML5 player automatically replaces ".swf" with ".xml" for the "open next panorama" action. I know this is a hack and there will be a smarter solution some day, but for now it is an easy solution so that you can use just one skin.
Yeah thanks Thomas, Hopki pointed that out.
Again, when you release something it would be good to have clear instructions as to what can be expected.
Many hours are wasted trying to find the logic in how things work.
Also it is really a HTML5 Player? Seems the pano world is calling this "webkit" as it doesn't work in any other HTML5 browsers outside of Safari.
Hardly a popular browser except for Apple users.

Hopefully you are hard at work fixing the tiling errors with the Multi Resolution tile alignment.

Regards, Smooth 8)
thomas
Chief Gnome

smooth wrote: Yeah thanks Thomas, Hopki pointed that out.
Again, when you release something it would be good to have clear instructions as to what can be expected.
Many hours are wasted trying to find the logic in how things work.
I know, I know... :(
Also it is really a HTML5 Player? Seems the pano world is calling this "webkit" as it doesn't work in any other HTML5 browsers outside of Safari.
Hardly a popular browser except for Apple users.
I want to clear things up a bit (or start more confusion, who knows): If you want to be correct the player should be called "CSS3 3D transformations" player, because the main new things that make this possible are defined in the CSS 3D Transforms Module Level 3 draft. HTML5 is just a common buzz word and the player uses also some HTML5 specific things but the main "magic" thing that makes it all work is in the CSS3 3D draft. Webkit is a rendering engine for a web browser and it is not just used by Apple but also Googles Chrome (>7% market share), the Symbian web browser (=Nokia phones) and Android browser. All newer version on those browsers have already the necessary hooks for CSS3 3D transformations, only for most of the browsers the backend rendering is missing. I hope it just a matter of time before they also implement it.
On the other hand, it doesn't really matter! Almost all plattforms have Flash, even my Android 2.2 phone can display Flash 10 panoramas with a reasonable speed and this will also be true in the near future. The only platform missing is the iPhone/iPad universe, and they support HTML5/CSS3 3D transformations. That is the only platform where you really need it, because you have no alternativ.
Hopefully you are hard at work fixing the tiling errors with the Multi Resolution tile alignment.
I am. btw: Transitions are already implemented :).
MfG, Thomas
smooth

thomas wrote:
smooth wrote:
I am. btw: Transitions are already implemented :).
Sweeeeeet :wink:

Regards, Smooth 8)