Tiles corrupted - IOS 6 iPad3

Q&A about the latest versions
p.madaschi

Dear all
I am completing my website and I have 2 problems with pano generated by Pano3vr when seen by iPad3.

1st PROBLEM - It happens that many times 360 images are loaded partially corrupted (see examples). The corrupted panos are not always the same. I also tried to decrease the file sizes (HTML quality, see below) but I noticed just a reduced occurence of the problem that still exists: 1-2 corrupted images over ten views. Of course the tests are done ALWAYS with cache cleaned and starting the 360 view only after the image thumb is fully loaded.

2nd PROBLEM - Sometimes, with one occurence over 25-30 pano views the iPad Safari crashes and you are simply kicked off.

NOTE: in two cases (only in 2 over many dozens of occurencies of corrupted images and browser crashes) I got the message on my iPad: NETWORK_ERROR: XMLHttpRequest Exception 101

My settings are:
- FLASH preferred. This choice is due to the limited support given to HTML5 by Firefox.
- HTML5 generated as a second step (old style, previous to 4.0 release), with:
--- Face: 1440
--- Quality: 70
--- Window: 1920x1080
--- Mobile settings (display, face, quality): 1024, 960, 70; 960, 700, 70; 480, 416, 70.
--- Enabled: Full Screen, Flash Fallback and Prefer Flash if Available

Both problems is particulary unpleasant: I have some 40 panos in my site and usually at least 5-7 are displayed with some corrupted parts and a browser crash is also not unusual when launching a pano.
Cleaning the cache restarts the process with some other panos becoming corrupted or causing the crash.
Even more unpleasant is the effect on the tours with more panos linked!
NOTE: I don't remember the occurence of this problem in IOS 5. All the browsers on the PC seem to work fine.
Do you have any suggestion? Do you need further details?

Thx for your support
Pietro
Attachments
Both images are not screens saved but camera shots, of course.
Both images are not screens saved but camera shots, of course.
P1010536.JPG (4.76 MiB) Viewed 8568 times
P1010535.JPG
P1010535.JPG (5.25 MiB) Viewed 8568 times
p.madaschi

Dear all
first of all sorry for the attachment in my previous post! definitvely next time I will resize! And of course the progam is Pano2VR rel4.

I haven't seen any answer yet. I hope somebody will provide her/his support/experience.
Question: this problem of iOS 6 tile corruption is peculiar only to me or also to someone else?
I am using a well known WordPress responsive theme, that works fine in all other respects. And no lightbox stuff, etc. I don't think therefore the problem is there.
On the web I have seen some complaints regarding iOS 6.0.1 but nothing really similar; they are concerning mostly wifi connectivity.

Finally, one contribution to statistics: I resized again my panos (decreasing overall quality to 60% and 30-40% for zenit-nadir faces) and I did then quite extensive tests, both wifi and 3G.
In general now the average "main pano ouput", made by 6 cube images without mobile images, has a size of 1,8 MB in total . This brings to 1 tile error, average, over a dozen of views (always cache clean). Better than before but ...
There is clearly a certain correlation with the file size but apparently there is no threshold effect. This means that even a 600KB pano with a lot of sky can have an error: it occurs just 3 times less frequently than a 2MB pano.
The browser crash decreases even more to less than 1%

Should I go further down with the quality? Any suggestion? Any need for further setting details?
HTML5 and tablets are the future in front of us. Therefore I am very interested in solving this problem.
Thx very much and nice day to everybody
Pietro
Tong

+1

one tile broken, like it not from needed resolution, ipad3.
p.madaschi

like it not from needed resolution, ipad3.
Tong,
Sorry, what do you mean by this?
Pietro
Hopki
Gnome

HI,
Not seeing this in my testes.
Do you see this on your computer or just when uploaded?
If you see this on your computer can you check the cube faces to make sure they are OK.

Other than that can you send your project to have a look at please.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
https://ggnome.com/wiki/documentation/
p.madaschi

Hi Hopki

thx for reply.
I see this only on the iPad3 when the image is uploaded to the tablet. I don't think it is just my iPad3!
To replicate it therefore you need an iPad3, or ... ?
I don't think that tiles are badly generated by Pano2VR: in fact for a certain image the tiles are displayed most of the times correctly and only a few times disrupted and not in the same way!
BUT ... I think that the "ensemble" 360 pano, html5 and iOS6 (on iPad3 at least) is generating an erratic loading and therefore display of the panos.
Error in iOS 6? Maybe but we are paying the fee. And, anyway, if so how to avoid it?

Pls note that, additionally to my two "large" error examples, you can see the same effect photographed by me on the dannyboy post of today, where I photographed the picture with disrupted tile:
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... f=6&t=7991

No problem in sending you my project (pls tell me how) but note that this problem applies to ALL panos of my site seen from iPad3!!!
For your info I performed today tests in a 3G environment with excellent signal levels and I got the same problem even if the occurence of the error was definively lower.

Rgds and good evening
Pietro
360Texas

By coincidence, on another project we are working with.. the client reported one of their iPad's (didn't say which 1,2 or 3) that they were seeing a WHITE RECTANGLE in the middle of their panorama. I asked them if they had upgraded to recent release iOS 6.0.1

After they updated the iOS the white block was gone.. image loaded correctly.

Problem resolved

If your not sure how to check your operating system on a iPad 3
SETTINGS
GENERAL
Look at ABOUT (ours reads iOS 6.0.1)
or tap 'SOFTWARE UPDATE' and iPad3 will go check for possible download of new iOS update.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
p.madaschi

Hi Texas

Thx very much for your suggestion but my iPad3 (64GB) is unfortunately well updated, as I mentioned in my first post, to iOS 6.0.1.
In fact I don't remember that this problem was present before the updating to iOS6!!!
I am working with this iPad since may and I don't remember I've seen such disruption before ios6.

Rgds
Pietro
Hopki
Gnome

Hi Pietro,
If only iPad 3 then I suspect it's cube face size, as a test try making the cub face size in the settings tab 1440px with image compression 80.
Then try 960 and test again.
Let me know how you get on.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
If you send an e-mail to support please send a link to the forum post for reference.
support@ggnome.com
p.madaschi

Hi Hopki

OK .
I will set this in the main html5 page (not the mobile, where is already there). Tomorrow I will test and report. Just a small question : which display size you suggest?
Have a nice evening.
pietro
Hopki
Gnome

Hi pietro,
Because of the iPad 3 & 4 hugh screen res it will not use any of the mobile settings thats why I say use the settings tab, well not if you don't use 2048 in the mobile tab, but then most of the older computer monitors do have this resolution.

1024 iPad 1 & 2
2048 iPad 3 & 4

You can start to see the problem the higher screen res causes.
I would use 1440 and see how you go.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
p.madaschi

Hi Hopki & Texas

I have completed some systematic tests. Following are the results and first conclusions.

TESTS
- I used for the test the same 360photo of a church, attached. The original equi size, used as input to Pano2VR, is 5760x2880 pixel, 10.8 MB.
- I built 3 different HTML5 Configurations with Pano2VR v4 always with 1440/1080 window size in main Setting tab.
- Test was performed with iPad3/64GB, iOS 6.0.1. Device was in static position connected in wifi with two different situations of "stable" signal levels (full, medìum) but without EM fields metering.
- Following are the three different setting Configurations of Pano2VR, in main HTML5 setting tab, and the resulting size in MB of the total 6 cube faces generated:
--- a - face 1440, quality 80 (zenit 40, nadir 30), total size 3.19MB
--- b - face 1440, quality 50 (zenit 30, nadir 30), total size 2.11MB

--- c - face 960, quality 80 (zenit 40, nadir 30), total size 1.39MB

RESULTS
I run 100 times the procedure "loading/display/clean cache" for each Configuration, i.e. 300 total tests. The results are the following:
--- a - 9 disrupted tiles (reasonable dispersion of errors),1 browser crash, 1 "NETWORK_ERROR: XMLHttpRequest Exception 101" as reported in my first post
--- b - 9 disrupted tiles (5 errors rather concentrated in a specific time), 2 browser crashes.
--- c - 0 disrupted tiles, 0 browser crash.
NOTE: out of the total 18 disruption errors, 9 were for Nadir face (definively the less "heavy"), the other 9 rather distributed among the other faces.

CONCLUSIONS
Even if the tests are not exaustive, it appears that Configuration "c", i.e. the 960 face solution, works quite well. No error in the 100 test sequence.
The 960 face is also having the lowest file size, so this might help if there are possible connection problems; but in previous tests I always had some disrupted files even in photos with total file size ranging around 1 MB but with 1440 face.
"960 face" seems a good way to go for iPad 3+ solid pano display.
Unfortunately the resulting pano quality/resolution is quite critical, worse than configuration "b" with quality 50! Conversely weget a fast load time.

Any suggestion to improve the quality might be very useful, even if with face size of 960 I fear there is not too much to be done.
Welcome are also other tests or information helping to verify the results and the HTML5 optimization process.
Rgds
Pietro
Attachments
360photo used for test
360photo used for test
Bergamo-Santa-Maria-Maggiore-interno.preview.jpg (160.45 KiB) Viewed 8456 times
p.madaschi

Hi Hopki
I see you are there.

I haven't received any feedback from the forum, neither positive nor negative, to my previous post.
In fact it is not clear how this problem is general ... It would be interesting to know!
Nevertheless, for your info, in the meantime I am reprocessing all my 360photos with following HTML5 settings: 960 cube face, 90% quality (reduced for zenit and nadir), 1440x1080 window.
Quality 90 increases the file size considerably but this is to partially overcome the low face size and the subsequent overall low res as previously noted.
I put Flash as preferred if available and Flash setting is as before.
I changed already quite a number of new images. Despite the increased file size of the 6 cubic faces in HLML5 due to increase to 90%, for the moment there is no corruption in tiles when displayed on my iPad3.

Acceptable for the moment.
In any case let me know if you have any suggestion on how to improve the resolution.
Thx for your support and rgds
Pietro
Hopki
Gnome

HI,
I will look at this when I get time, got my head in another project. I don't get this problem and there are lots of other that use this and I am assuming they are not having this either.
Regards,
Hopki
Garden Gnome Support
support@ggnome.com
Tong

i have the same issue with ipad3, one tile corrupted, like it not load right size.