Preview Bug

Q&A about the latest versions
xhalemedia

Hi there,
I have been having a problem with the previews in P2vr.
What I am getting is that the previews of the pano are not being shown. However sometimes it works, sometimes not. I had this issue a while back where the preview window would simply show a deep red colour. Now (since an recent update the windows is simply grey.
(note gardengnome site behind)
screencap01.jpg
screencap01.jpg (101.4 KiB) Viewed 8694 times
If i open another window (eg a browser) then go back to P2VR the preview area of the box shows the content from the previous window.
screencap02.jpg
screencap02.jpg (127.91 KiB) Viewed 8694 times
I have tried restarts and reinstalls, sometime it works sometimes not. I can't seem to narrow down what is the cause. Today I made a couple of edits to one pano and it worked fine. closed that one, opened another and for the rest of the day the preview is not showing. NB it is the preview that is not showing, the window opens as normal and by clicking around I can sometimes find a hotspot by luck.
The other preview windows (paramaters, sound and patch) are doing the same.

I have tried a fresh install of the program, done a fair few restarts.
my system is Windows XP proffesional
got plenty of ram and processer power and my graphics card is running fine.
I have a project coming up that I really need this functionality for so any help with this would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Alex
Xhale Media
360Texas

I see you are trying to preview using the QTVR viewer. You mentioned that you are using XP Pro. Question are you using Windows 64bit operating system ?

If you are using a 32bit windows operating system.. the QTVR preview should work.
If you are using a 64bit windows operating system.. I think QTVR has display issue.

I think I read in another forum that most recent update version of QTVR has been fixed to work with 64bit operating windows system.
Suggest you might check your QTVR version and update on apples website, if needed
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
xhalemedia

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the quick response.
360Texas wrote:I see you are trying to preview using the QTVR viewer.
Do you mean preview or output? (on the image there is the text 'New output Format: Quicktime' but this is for the final output (right?)
This is only to add another output format, however the only output format set in this project is with flash.
Or, is there a method to select how p2vr previews a pano within the program (ie hotspot editor, parameters, patch) i have had a look through the settings but can't see anything along those lines.

I am using XP, 32bit and i have the most recent version of Quicktime installed (after reading i did a fresh install of quicktime to double check but no luck)
I also just checked my p2vr is fully uptodate.

thanks again for the quick response, perhaps i will have to wait for a response from Thomas. I did have a similar problem that we disscussed a while back that seemed to resolve its self with an update. However i also have not used p2vr much since then as i have been working other projects.

Fingers crossed,
thanks
Alex
360Texas

ok thanks for your technical info

After selecting Quicktime Output type... click to process.. and it should bring up the pano in the QTVR viewer.

In the viewer select HELP About and tell me what version of Quicktime player you are using.

Mine displays properly the panorama and Help about shows
Version 7.6.5(518.40)
QuickTime Version 7.6.5(1327.80)

And yours says ?

Regarding the Hotspot preview mine looks like this.
pano2vrhs.jpg
pano2vrhs.jpg (50.27 KiB) Viewed 8685 times
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
xhalemedia

ok,so i'm running version version 7.6.6 of quicktime.

just to clear up, i'm not outputting to quicktime at all, i am only outputing flash.

thanks
Alex
360Texas

Ah ok.. thanks for that info about QTVR and real output is going to Flash.

You of course have the 'stand alone' version of Flash. Its downloadable from Adobe's download center and is 5.1 mb
This standalone opens small display window instead of opening your browser window.

Ok I thought I had most current QTVR viewer.. I guess not.

Have you ever gotten the QTVR to display in the Hotspot windows? Maybe there is an issue with QTVR 7.6.6 that I am not aware of.

Question When you open your Hotspot editor In the "Area Hotspot tab".. did you check mark the "Enable" box to view the panorama ?
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
smooth

The Pano2VR internal viewer has NOTHING to do with Quicktime and hasn't for a very long time.
Your issue sound very much Graphic Card related and you should make sure you have the latest drivers for your graphics card/operating system installed.
Also make 100% sure you have the latest version of Pano2VR, be sure to install VC++2008 Runtime at the prompt point during install.

Regards, Smooth 8)
360Texas

k... I didn't know about the internal viewer. hence sent pm to Thomas asking that question.

Next step would be video card drivers.

BTW: Kudo's James, Great looking logo and new site.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
smooth

We have been here before Dave,
http://gardengnomesoftware.com/forum/vi ... 174&p=9236

Logo and site are a continuing progression. Thanks for noticing.
I got sick of people not knowing what to call them... thus Omnipix.

Regards, Smooth 8)
xhalemedia

Thanks for the suggestions so far however...
i'm sorry to say i am still not having any joy with this issue.
I have uninstalled reinstalled p2vr
checked versions of graphics driver, c++ 2008, p2vr, quicktime, flash

My graphics card is running fine ( it is performing normally with many graphics intensive programs without a problem)

I have opened a object2vr project and the previewer is working fine with that. my be that has no relavence but though that it could as i would imagine that they were probably built along the same lines.

I have tries many restarts (in the past i have occasionally found the issue is gone only to return another time) but not had the luck to get it to work so that i can complete the projects that i am working on.

Would be greatfull of any help :)
Thanks
Alex
xhalemedia

More info

So been trying various things to get the previews working and come across a way to get it working in certain situations. Perhaps this helps to diagnose the problem.

I have found that by opening a 'fresh' or new project the preview works fine. but only if it is a new project. If the project is started clicking the *create new project* button then the preview does not work. also if a project is started by right clicking an image and selecting 'open with' - p2vr then the preview also does not work.
When a new project is opened and the preview works, if the project is then closed then opened the previews do not work.
older projects that had worked before at the time of creation do not work (ie previews do not work)

Hope that this helps towards a solution or a suggestion as to how i can get this working.

If i can provide any further info or test please let me know.

Many thanks
Alex
xhalemedia

Bumping this thread as I really need to sort out this problem
Thanks
Alex
thomas
Chief Gnome

The problem is the OpenGL support of your graphics driver. Try to install a newer/older/different version of your graphics driver. Both, the viewings parameter and the point hotspot window use OpenGL to display the panorama.
Unfortunately some graphics card company distribute drivers with OpenGL bugs because nowadays most games use DirectX.
You can also try to change the preview resolution in the Settings window. Sometimes those bugs also only show up with certain texture resolutions.
MfG, Thomas
xhalemedia

Thanks Thomas,

Seem to have solved this now, I tried a new update of the driver (only a month old that i've not found before) and now the previews are showing as normal.

All new projects that i open are working at least, older .p2vr files seem to still have the same problem, i'm guessing that is something saved in their settings.
That is not a real problem as any that i need to edit i can simply open and save as defult, then open the .tiff again and keep the project settings.

Many many thanks for you help.
Alex