How to offset the horizon?

Q&A about the latest versions
Andrew H

Hello

Most of my spherical panoramas are of cityscapes and townscapes, usually taken at eye level from the street. This very often gives a result where most of the subject interest is in the top half of the image, i.e. above the horizon, with the lower half occupied by uninteresting foreground matter. For an example please see (a) in the illustration, below, where the dotted line represents eye level, which with a tilt value of zero will be centred vertically within the panorama's window.

I realise that I can tilt the panorama to lower the horizon, but this of course results in all vertical lines converging towards the top of the image, as in (b) below. Not an attractive proposition for architectural subjects.

I can sort of overcome the problem by making the panorama window deeper than I require, and masking off the unwanted foreground in the HTML page by placing a box over the lower part of the panorama window, as in (c), below, where the grey dotted line indicates the masked area of the window and the red dotted line the box which is obscuring it. While this strategy works, it does not seem very elegant, and I am concerned about how robust it is regarding browser compatibility.

A possible solution might be for Pano2VR to include, perhaps within the 'Display' pane of the settings screen, an option to vertically offset the panorama within its window. Obviously this would result in the panorama visibly rotating around a point other than the centre of the window when it is tilted to show the zenith or nadir, but I don't see that as a huge issue.

Might this be possible, Thomas, or can you or anyone else suggest an alternative, please?

Regards to all

Andrew
example.jpg
example.jpg (38.6 KiB) Viewed 4830 times
360Texas

You might try collapsing your tripod legs so that the camera lens is about 1 meter (3 feet) (read lower horizon) above the ground level.

We used to extend the tripod legs so that the lens (read horizon) was at the same eye elevation as a standing persons.
Now we place the camera lens at the same eye elevation as a seated person.

Not exactly sure why we did that.. maybe because we were better able to look down on the panhead level and camera hotshoe level. We also learned that we seldom look through the view finder any more. The circular fisheye lens is 180°... just point in the general direction and you are going to capture everything anyway.

A lower horizon elevation does have an affect on the tripod cap diameter.
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
shinodem

It is possible to limit maximum fov then there will be no such distortion as on a picture (b)
Or to do complete sphere not than without limiting, and uninteresting foreground to close for example around with a logo or to blur the map in a photoshop
Andrew H

Thanks Dave, thanks, shinodem

I have the viewpoint (average person's eye height when standing at street level) and the horizontal FOV as I require them, and I would prefer not to change these. What I am looking for is a means to vertically offset the panorama within its viewing window. I'm pretty much sure this isn't possible currently with Pano2VR (your input on this would be much appreciated, Thomas), but does anyone know if it is possible to edit a .SWF file post Pano2VR to achieve this please?

Regards

Andrew
thomas
Chief Gnome

I plan to add a "Horizon offset" in the near future (2-3 month).
MfG, Thomas
Andrew H

thomas wrote:I plan to add a "Horizon offset" in the near future (2-3 month).
Thanks, Thomas, that is excellent news!

Regards
Andrew
ericob

You might also want to look at the "Architectural" projection. http://wiki.panotools.org/Projections#A ... projection. Some more examples here (at the bottom of the page): http://krpano.com/docu/projections/. Another example here: http://turingmachine.org/silvernegative ... ction.html. Be sure to compare with the version using Equirectangular projection (it's on a separate page).