VR Tour Pricing???

Q&A about the latest versions
kevatga

I've created my first vr tour using Pano2VR, amazing program, and I do not have a clue on how much to charge for the pictures and the blueprint skinned walk-thru.
Here is my VR Tour...
http://www.lahainabeachfronthome.com/

Thomas,
how much would you charge for something like this?

PS: USD would be helpful.

Thank You
Tri3

That looks really nice.

Virtual Tours here in Austin, Texas go for around $120, but IMO they are not as nice as yours.

How did you do the floor plan? What program did you use?

Cheers
kevatga

That looks really nice.
Thank You. I wrote the whole movie in Flash CS3. After coding the blueprint, all I had to do was load in the pano .swf files and I used Pano2VR to setup the hotspots. The hotspots codes I used I found in the Flash 9 API.

I'm based out of Atlanta and I was hoping to charge a bit more than $120. The whole thing took me 3 full days to complete. I guess I have to find the right market that is willing to pay top-dollar. I'm curious to see what more people say.

Thank You for your input!
AlaskaVRTours

For Real Estate tours (up to 4 views) I get $150. Sometimes a bit more if I include a gallery of stills as well. Real estate tours by their nature are temporary, so it doesnt pay to put a lot of time into them. Speeding up your workflow if very important. Including shooting the pictures, I can generally produce a 4 tour package in about 3 to 4 hours.
Higher end tours for hotels and lodges usually command a higher price ($250 for up to 5 tours, with each over 5 another $50). I spend more time cleaning up the nadir, make the interface snazzier looking, like you did and include a gallery of stills.
I have generally found people unwilling to spend more than that, and will ask for fewer tours per package, rather than pay more than $250. Its not a huge money maker, seeing as how much I have invested in camera, lenses, tripod/mount and software, but it definately suplements my web development/hosting business.

Hope that helps.

Tom
kevatga

Tom,

Thank You very much for your help. I can relate to the high expense of start-up! I have a few more questions if you don't mind. btw I like your site and I love Alaska, I was visiting from Atlanta back in August.

I'm wondering what your quote would be to create what I created for this Maui vacation rental home, (the blueprint, the walk-thur ability, custom skin)? I don't mean to pry but anything would be helpful as I am brand new to this.

Also when you say a "tour" you are referring to one panorama picture... correct?

Thanks Tom,

Kevin
AlaskaVRTours

Kevin,
Looking back, I see I wasnt very consistent in my use of the word 'tour'. Generally yes, when I say a tour, I mean a single panoramic pictureI almost always sell them in packages on 4 or 5 tours (or more, but not often).
Thanks for the compliments on my site. Its alway nice to get feedback. If I were to bid on a project like you created, I would probably ask $500. With that said though, In this market, I would probably be hard pressed to get it. The client might ask for fewer tours (I counted 10 in the one you did?) or forgo the floorplan for text links to navigate between the tours.
I love doing those kinds of tours though, and wish I had more of a market for them here.
So was this one just a demo, or proof of concept job, or were you hoping to sell it?
Feel free to pm me, or email me off list if you want to chat more.

Hope that helps!
Tom
360Texas

Hmm I am thinking about pricing and our business core product. Here is possibly a different view

Business Plan is a written document laying out all the core needs of the company expectation for staying in business. It defines the companies product its competition, and forecast for annual revenue. Oh yes, but then you probably already knew that requirement.

The panoramas are not the product. The property is the clients product.

What would I charge for 10 panoramas ? Depends on the client. Example

Hotels:

100 rooms at 80% annual occupancy rate. Means

80 rooms are revenue generating at $100/ or $8,000 night.
20 rooms at $100 = $2,000 loss each night.

By taking panoramas you can improve the occupancy rate by only 5 % to 85% it means income is increased to $8,500. per night.

Extended logic - Panorama usually last for 5 years or until property is remodeled.

Year 1
With Panos $8500 x 365 = $3,102,500.
No pano's $8,000 x 365 days = 2,920,000
increase $185,000 year 1 less your project $5,000 panorama +html/ flash page = $180,000.

Year 2, 3, 4, 5 = + 4 years 185,000 = $740,000 and Year 1 + 180,000 = $920,000 total. OR just a little under $1 million dollars increase bottom line revenue for the hotel profits.

I am only suggesting a project price of $5,000. The hotel is making a little under $1,000,000 on your panoramas. Maybe $5,000 is a bargin for the hotel advertising. So only charge a small 1% (.01 percent) of the total additional 5 year revenue... say $10,000.

Just a thought about a project total price (not cost)
Dave
Pano2VR Forum Global Moderator
Visit 360texas.com
ramirox3

http://www.lahainabeachfronthome.com/ dont open
I ll like to see
thanks
kevatga

I'm sorry due to client demand the new link is

http://www.lahainabeachfronthome.com/plantation

or for the second property

http://www.lahainabeachfronthome.com/villa

and the main website we designed for the client is

http://www.precisionmaui.com

The first two are pop-ups when clicking on the respective property "360 Tour" button found on the individual property listings page.

The sites are still not the final version, I am releasing these to the client in approximately 10 days, OCT. 23, 2008

ENJOY
ELIZBA

Excellent tours Kevatga!!

Could you please give some tips to get that great vieew thru the windows, I always have problems with excessive brightness and it just shows a big white shinny spot instead of like yours watching thru the windows very clear, which parameters do you use in your camera to take the pictures and which software or tricks do you use to get it right like the samples you sent?

Regards,
360Texas

For the window images underexpose by 1/2 to 1 f/stop. Or using your camera light meter set the exposure to see the outside grass and trees.
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
michael crane

I think this is a question about bracketing and combining the bracketed exposures surely ?
best
mick
360Texas

I agree bracketing is good. But you need a few other software tools to make that work.

First I thought it would be a good thing if they told us what camera and lens they were using
Dave
Visit 360texas.com
kevatga

Excellent tours Kevatga!!

Could you please give some tips to get that great vieew thru the windows, I always have problems with excessive brightness and it just shows a big white shinny spot instead of like yours watching thru the windows very clear, which parameters do you use in your camera to take the pictures and which software or tricks do you use to get it right like the samples you sent?

Regards,
First I thought it would be a good thing if they told us what camera and lens they were using
The cameras we used were a combination of the Canon Rebel XTi and the Canon Mark III with either the Sigma 8mm Fisheye or the Canon 15 mm. Fisheye. We used a technique HDRI to get those through the glass exposures and if you google hdr or hdri I think you'll find a wealth of information.
ELIZBA

Thank you for your comments, I am using a Canon Rebel XSi and a sunex fisheye lens 5.6 mm (fixed). What do you mean by light meter, is this the exposure+2 to -2?
Do you know of any softwares suggeted to fix this problem?

Regards,